Post #4 -- To Simply Survive or to Really Thrive?


Several months ago I was enjoying some quiet moments sitting on the outside deck of our “get-away” cottage along the Susquehanna River we call the “River House”.  It was an exceptionally hot day made even worse by the fact that I was probably rather dehydrated.  I felt a bit disoriented and lightheaded and retreated to the interior of the house, sat down and promptly emptied my stomach for the next hour or so while the room spun threateningly all around me.  The ambulance ride to the hospital was not much better.  Frankly all I cared about at that moment was to get through this crisis.  I cared little about growth in personal character and had little concern about being a blessing to those around me who were intent on helping me.  My focus was clearly on myself and my vision for the future that day was extremely limited!

I simply wanted to survive!

The questions remain: exactly what does it mean to “simply survive”? Or better yet, what does it look like to “really thrive”?

Merriam-Webster says to “survive” is to continue to live or exist in spite of some negative circumstance. To “thrive”, on the other hand, is to grow vigorously, to flourish, to progress toward or realize a goal despite or because of circumstances.

Understandably “surviving” and “thriving” may mean different things to different people.  To me, “surviving” is the state of focusing only on myself and doing what ever is necessary to “get through” the present crisis.  My vision during this crisis is typically limited to what’s happening to me in the near-term.  It’s generally only a focus on me and my needs.

On the other hand, I’m using the term “thriving” to define the state of cheerfully living with a purpose that goes beyond the present crisis.  It’s the state of focusing on the welfare of others and enjoying life to the fullest, while keeping my eyes on Jesus and the promise of an eternity to be spent with Him.

David is one of my favorite biblical characters.  Many of the Psalms highlight his cries to God as he struggles to survive his crisis.  Psalms 142:1-2 (NIV) describes one of those struggles— I cry aloud to the Lord; I lift up my voice to the Lord for mercy.  I pour out before him my complaint; before him I tell my trouble.”  Even though David struggled often like this, he never remained in the state very long  and concludes most psalms praising God and giving Him glory.

In other words, David also went through periods of survival mentality, but he also experienced the exultation of thriving.

Certainly as Believers we’ve all experienced God’s power carrying us through those times of intense crisis.  My first objective in any crisis, like most people I suppose, is to survive the crisis.  Without doubt, God is engaged in helping us survive.

My thesis here, though, is that God wants us to experience more than simply getting through the crisis.  He wants us to go beyond that crisis to joyfully enjoy life and contribute to the world around us.

Especially as we get older, life sometimes gets tough and becomes nothing but chaos.  It becomes very easy to drift into a survival mentality — caring only about ourselves and getting through the present crisis..  But that simply is not God’s plan for us. 
“Blessed is the one who does not walk in step with the wicked or stand in the way that sinners take or sit in the company of mockers, but whose delight is in the law of the Lord, and who meditates on his law day and night. That person is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither — whatever they do prospers.”  (Psalm 1:1-3, NIV)
“The blameless spend their days under the Lord’s care, and their inheritance will endure forever. In times of disaster they will not wither; in days of famine they will enjoy plenty.” (Psalm 37:18-19, NIV)
“I have come that they might have life and have it more abundantly.” (John 10:10, NKJV)

I call this truly “thriving”.  

The singing group Casting Crowns thrills my soul with their “Thrive” and its 

refrain:

“Shine like the sun, make darkness run and hide.

We know we were made for so much more than ordinary lives.

It's time for us to more than just survive.

We were made to thrive.”

Enjoy this song with me .

Without doubt, we’ve been made for so much more than ordinary life (surviving).   We’ve been made to THRIVE!

But the question in my heart remains: How does one thrive on those days one simply does not feel like thriving?  Frankly the answer to that question is for me an evolving one — an answer which I trust will emerge as these posts continue. 

Comments

  1. Thank you, Don, for your transparency and very helpful insights. Such a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peter & ida AngierMay 12, 2022 at 9:46 PM

      Thanks for taking us on this journey with you and your willingness to share with us,

      Delete
  2. Very important and helpful perspective.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Post #44 -- The Gift of Hope

Post #41 -- When One's Days Are Numbered

Post #42 -- The Gift of Music