Post #37 -- Remember When

Our daughter recently asked: “Dad, do you realize how many miracles God has done for you from 2016 until now?”

Obviously there’s a backstory to that question.  She knew that I was diagnosed with the physically incurable disease called Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis (IPF) in 2011, and at that time the medical community gave a prognosis for longevity of three to five years after diagnosis.  By that standard I should have Iived only to 2016. 

We had been discussing what a miracle might look like having my lungs completely restored by God, when she wisely observed the fact that there have already been many “miracles” given to us by God since 2016 until now (mid 2023) — phenomenal blessings that I would not have enjoyed had the medical prognosis been correct.

That got me thinking — and REMEMBERING!

Now the fact that one can be rejuvenated and encouraged by recalling good things of the past is probably not a new insight to anyone.  But I still have the sense that exploring this practice and remembering these miracles as I meander along my current medical pathway could prove instructive, beneficial, and very encouraging.  More on that in a moment.

THE PSALMIST REMEMBERED

I pondered recently on what seemed like the psalmist’s antidote to discouragement in Psalm  77.  When times were the toughest, he remembered.  He spent time recalling all the mighty things that God had done for him and the nation of Israel — and became encouraged.  Psalm 77:1-10 records his lament to the Lord:

When I was in deep trouble, I searched for the Lord. All night long I prayed, with hands lifted toward heaven, but my soul was not comforted” (vs. 2).

“You don’t let me sleep. I am too distressed even to pray” (vs. 4)!

“Has the Lord rejected me forever? Will he never again be kind to me? Is his unfailing love gone forever? Have his promises permanently failed” (vs. 7)?

“Has God forgotten to be gracious? Has he slammed the door on his compassion” (vs.9)?

“And I said, ‘This is my fate; the Most High has turned his hand against me’” (vs. 10).

But then he remembered — and as recorded in Psalms 77:11-29 (NIV), his attitude changed.

“But then I recall all you have done, O Lord; I remember your wonderful deeds of long ago. They are constantly in my thoughts. I cannot stop thinking about your mighty works” (vs. 11-12).

The rest of Psalm 77:13-20 records the psalmist fondly remembering the many miracles God had done for him and the nation of Israel.

Actually, remembering seems to be a major theme in Scripture.  The Old Testament records over 30 or so instances in which God is instructing His people to remember — verses like  “Remember that for 40 years the Lord your God led you on your journey in the desert”  (Deuteronomy 8:2) and “Remember His marvelous works which He has done”  (I Chronicles 16:12).  As the people were preparing to enter the Promised Land, Moses’ instruction to them was simply “to remember all God had done for them”  (Deuteronomy 24:9, 18, 22; 25:17).

The same theme comes through the New Testament via another 15 or so verses, verses such as: “So remember what you have received and heard; and keep it, and repent”  (Revelations 3:3), and “Remember those earlier days after you had received the light, when you endured in a great conflict full of suffering”  (Hebrews 10:32).

AS WE REMEMBER

Obviously, remembering is pretty important to God!  And it can be pretty valuable to us also!

Please forgive me for making the rest of this post all about me and my medical challenges.  But I’m excited about this and want to share it with you.

Many people are fervently trusting God for a complete restoration of my lungs; some are even committed to regular prayer and fasting.  I am very, very grateful for each of the prayer warriors who are praying for us!  My wife and I are also trusting God for the miracle of restored lungs.  But I would quickly tell you that even if God chooses not to answer this request in this lifetime, our prayer is that He provides us with a strong sense of contentment and restedness throughout our remaining moments all to His glory as we continue to enjoy His many gifts.

In my process of remembering, I wracked my brain and carefully reviewed my digital photo database for instances of these important miracles and I was absolutely astonished and overwhelmingly encouraged.  Here is a partial list of some of those miracles:

Since 2016

    • As a family, we enjoyed eight major family weeks at Deep Creek, MD. This is an annual highlight for the whole family that is always a real blessing for everyone.  
    • Together we celebrated something like 50 birthday parties.
    • I enjoyed working with the family on the reconstruction of the family get-away, called the "River House", on the Susquehanna River.
    • Marilyn and I have been thrilled with five long weekends away to celebrate a different grandchild each time becoming a teenager.  This has been a valuable tradition of ours.
    • As a family we have enjoyed several hundred family events of all kinds.
    • Marilyn and I were cheerleaders at many, many sporting events. (I was unable to count all of them.)  These were enjoyed even when I could only remain in the car.
    • I have thoroughly enjoyed ministering at a dozen or so major discipleship training events.
    • We loved gathering for several major family-wide events in Boston, graciously hosted by our son and daughter-in-law.
    • We enjoyed several major trips to Colorado to visit our youngest son and his family.
    • Likewise we loved several major trips to Boston to visit our oldest son and his family.
    • I have thoroughly enjoyed the manly interaction during six different men’s deer hunting trips in West Virginia.
    • My many monthly one-on-one “dates” with grandchildren have been super meaningful to me.
    • Seven trips to Florida during this period of time have been great memories.
    • I’ve had the privilege of participating in several neighbor community picnics (leading most of them).
    • With Marilyn I’ve enjoyed attending numerous concerts and dance theaters in which one or more of our grandchildren were featured.
    • Marilyn and I were invited on a memorable seven-day cruise with some of the family. Playing Five Crowns with grandchildren on our room’s outside deck overlooking the ocean was a highlight.
    • How I enjoyed many hours working on model trains with grandsons — N gauge, then HO gauge!
    • We have enjoyed countless hours with friends in mutual encouragement, fellowship, and discipleship.
    • And, of course, best yet, was the joy of spending countless hours with my best friend, Marilyn!

I have been blown away by all this and very, very encouraged!  

Let me acknowledge here that several years after my IPF diagnosis, a new drug was approved by the FDA.  Undoubtedly this drug may have helped me live a bit longer than the projected three to five years.  This too has been a gift from God and another miracle for which we are very grateful.

HOW REMEMBERING HELPS ME THRIVE

Some people live in the past, some in the present, and some in the future.  I tend to live in the future, but my desire is to live more in the present. Having said all that, I now fully appreciate the great value of also properly remembering the good things of the past. 

But how blessed I’ve been seeing all the awesome “good and perfect gifts” given to us by God.  James 1:17 tells us— “Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.”  Clearly God has already blessed us with many miracles.  I am very encouraged as I remember what God has allowed me to experience and to be able, with increased confidence, to trust God for the future.  Had my life ended in 2016 as some predicted, I would have missed all this. So whether God chooses to restore my lungs to a healthy state or continues to bless us with more miracles for a time, I am so very, very grateful.  

To anyone discouraged or overwhelmed by the present or the future, I offer the suggestion to do what I did.  Grab a pencil and paper and write down all the blessings you can remember.  Now spend some time reflecting on what’s before you and praise God for all of it.

This process of “remembering has certainly been an exhilarating experience for me! I am  blessed with many, many miracles.  With all this in mind I can walk with spring in my step and really THRIVE!



Comments

  1. Praising God with you and Marilyn for all these wonderful miracles--and trusting Him for many more! And counting my blessings, too! Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being Thankful and Remembering is a wonderful exercise for all of us. Thanks for the reminder and sharing your heart brother!! Dt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dick. You are an encouragement!

      Delete
  3. What an amazing list of miracles! Rejoicing with you and asking the Lord for many more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don, What a wonderful encouragement to all of us who trust in Him! Jack

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Post #44 -- The Gift of Hope

Post #41 -- When One's Days Are Numbered

Post #42 -- The Gift of Music