Post #10 -- Hiding God's Word in My Heart

In Post #8 (Immersed in God’s Word) we considered the great value of regularly spending time with God and his Word and the fact that this practice can be the key to moving from simply surviving to really thriving.  

Another powerful way to become immersed in God’s Word is through Scripture memory — to hide God’s words in our hearts such that key scriptures are retained in the front of our brains and on the tip of our tongues ready for use whenever a need and/or opportunity arises.

What God says about hiding His Word in our hearts

God clearly desires that His words are printed on our minds and our hearts.


“I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.”  (Psalm 119:11, NIV)

“These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts.”

(Deuteronomy 6:6, NIV)

“Fix these words of mine in your hearts and minds; tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads.”

(Deuteronomy 11:18, NIV)

“I desire to do your will, my God; your law is within my heart.” (Psalm 40:8, NIV)

Obey my commands and live! Guard my instructions as you guard your own eyes. Tie them on your fingers as a reminder . Write them deep within your heart.”  (Proverbs 7:2-3, NLT)

What hiding God’s Word in my heart has meant to me

While many of us men might be tempted to rate memorizing (anything) somewhere between a snake bite and a cracked rib, in actuality, hiding God’s words in our hearts can be naturally delightful and life-changing.  Let me give you several personal examples.

I vividly recall the power of Psalm 19:14 while on a 13-month “remote” tour without the family in Korea during the early days of my USAF experience. — “Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Your sight, O Lord, my strength and my Redeemer.” (Psalm 19:14, NKJV)  I was concerned about being faithful to my wife in a rather pagan environment.  God met every need through this verse.  I’ve often joked that had I had five cents for every time I quoted that verse to myself, my trip home at mid-tour would have been completely financed.

Several years ago a friend and I were reflecting on our experiences nearly thirty years earlier when he and I spent considerable time in a discipling relationship.. There were many deep and rich moments during this relationship, including the preservation of his marriage.  As we enjoyed the time reflecting on all this, I asked him, “Dave (not his real name), what was the most valuable time we’ve had together (thinking my friend would reference the marriage recommitment experience and all that surrounded it)?”  His quiet response startled me — “The time we spent memorizing scripture together.”   Frankly I was astounded … and convicted.  I did not expect that response. I stood convicted in that I had at that time become a bit complacent in my own habit of Scripture memory and review. His response caused me to remember what I was missing.  I’m very grateful to my wise friend for helping me to get my Scripture memory and review back on track at that time.  Scripture memory was vital to him and it is to me also.

More recently I remember visiting the bathroom in the middle of the night and while sitting on the throne was struck by a thought that startled me.  Earlier in the week I had been challenged by a friend to journal my feelings during this Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis (IPF) journey.  I quote here from my IPF journal the next morning, dated Friday, May 17, 2019: 

“Sitting on the “john” at midnight last night I realized a way to describe my feelings was “anxious”.  Immediately Philippians 4:6-7 popped into my mind which I could quote to myself and to God: Be anxious about nothing.  But with prayer and supplication let your requests, with thanksgiving, be known to God and the peace of God which passes all understanding will keep your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.”  How grateful I am for past Scripture memory and for the fact that God is present in each of our situations.  I suspect the “worry” may come back now and then.  But I also trust that Phil 4:6-7 will be at the forefront of my mind and I’ll continue to experience the calming peace of Jesus Christ.  Thank you, God!”

In Post #5 I shared how meaningful 2 Cor 4:16 has been to me  —“Therefore we do not lose heart.  Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day-by-day.”  Memorizing this verse (and a few verses around it) has been so very valuable.  I can lie awake at night or experience a rough spot in the road mid-day and peacefully recall, “Therefore we do not lose heart …”  For me it’s like a shot of adrenaline to keep me going.

One more example (though there could be many more).  In Psalm 119:50 David’s testimony was “My comfort in my suffering is this: Your promise preserves my life”. I’ve identified a handful of these promises and have been having fun memorizing them. I’ll share all that in a future post.

As I move further along my IPF pathway, I would add with even greater emphasis that I am very, very grateful for my disciplers who led me (sometimes kicking and screaming) into Scripture memory. 

How hiding God’s Word in my heart helps me thrive

Each time I review one of those verses I’ve memorized (even those from years ago), I feel a little of that “being inwardly renewed day by day” that 2 Corinthians 4:16 talks about.  And for me that’s thriving!

My prayer

Lord I thank you for the encouragement I’ve had in the past to memorize passages from your Word.  Help me to continue doing that today— even though memorizing seems to be getting more difficult as I get older.  I pray that my friends who might be reading this may also know the joy and fulfillment that comes from hiding your words in their hearts.

Thanks!, your son, Don


Comments

  1. I echo your thoughts of the importance of memorizing passages that we find have particular meaning to us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our dad taught us whole passages of Scripture during "Family Prayers", reciting a couple of verses and having us repeat them night after night, then continuing with the next verses. We learned several Psalms as well as Isaiah 53, John 14: 1-6, and I Corinthians 13, and even more. My son recites Psalm 23 as he brushes his boys teeth every night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie that's awesome! You're a terrific mom!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Post #44 -- The Gift of Hope

Post #41 -- When One's Days Are Numbered

Post #42 -- The Gift of Music