Post #12 -- Filled with Gratitude

Peanuts has got it right!  We choose to be either happy or glum.  We choose to appreciate what we have and what we’ve been blessed with — or we complain about what we don’t have with an unhappy face.  Unfortunately some days that complaining occurs naturally without even thinking about it!  Several years ago I began an almost-daily practice that is still feeding my soul, lifts me above the normal ripples of life, and helps me choose to be happy.  For the record, not every day is lived above those ripples and I’m not always smiling.  But this practice helps me move closer to my desired response to the goodness of God in my life.

Let me again quote from my Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis (IPF) journal, dated Thursday, May 30, 2019:

“Looking forward to meeting with my pulmonologist tomorrow.  Expecting a report of growing regression within my lungs, but my faith continues in Jesus Christ.  It occurred to me this morning while lying in bed that a way to combat discouragement or depression is to constantly focus on what I’m grateful for.  I don’t think I’m depressed or discouraged — but neither do I want to get that way.  As part of my daily quiet-times, I shall try to identify each day something new for which I’m grateful. Today I started by recording that I am grateful for Marilyn and the super wife, mother, grandmother, and lover she is!”

Since then I’ve been enjoying beginning my day with something positive.  Some days it might not be all that earth-shattering, other days it could be life-changing. More on that in a bit.

What God says about being grateful

  • “Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.”  (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18)
  • “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”  (Philippians 4:6-7)
  • “Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his love endures forever.”  (1 Chronicles 16:33)
  • “I will give thanks to you, Lord, with all my heart; I will tell of all your wonderful deeds.”  (Psalm 9:1)
  • “And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.”  (Colossians 3:1)
  • “Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful.”  (Colossians 3:15)
  • “Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful.”  (Colossians 4:2) 

It’s pretty clear that when we’re committed to being grateful and thankful, we’re standing on solid ground!

What notable spiritual leaders say about gratitude

“It is only with gratitude that life becomes rich!” – Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"The discipline of gratitude is the explicit effort to acknowledge that all I am and have is given to me as a gift of love, a gift to be celebrated with joy." — Henri Nouwen

“Gratitude is an offering precious in the sight of God, and it is one that the poorest of us can make and be not poorer but richer for having made it.” – A.W. Tozer

“It’s one thing to be grateful. It’s another to give thanks. Gratitude is what you feel. Thanksgiving is what you do. — Tim Keller

“Gratitude is a decision of the will, and if a decision of the will, the choice resides squarely with us. Deciding to be thankful is no easy task. It takes work.” – Chuck Swindoll

My practice

As I said, I find it helpful to start my day by recording in my journal something specific for which I’m grateful — something different each day … and spend a moment or two thanking God for that thing or person.  In looking back over my quiet-time journal, here’s a sample of some recent daily entries:

    • For the ability to see the world around me and enjoy all that God has made.
    • For people who are cheerful
    • That I’m still breathing!
    • For quiet moments at the camper along the river
    • For the hope of meeting Jesus
    • For Marilyn’s life passage  (Deuteronomy 30:19-20)
    • For 54 years of great memories with Marilyn
    • For the gift of two months in Florida
    • For another shiny new marble
    • For Marilyn’s sacrificial care of me
    • For the cross
    • For special time with the grandkids

Why be grateful

Obviously, Scripture gives ample reasons for remaining grateful at all times!  Plus a cursory review of the internet highlights the fact that the effects of gratitude can be important for our over all well-being for several reasons  —such as: improved mental health, strengthened physical health, stronger social ties, and greater resilience (the ability to bounce back after a hardship).

Yet with all this incentive, some days it remains rather difficult for me to smile and be grateful.  Why is this?  I’m sure there may be many reasons. but my observation is that generally the lack of gratefulness is often directly related to my busy, noisy, overstimulated schedule in which I’ve had little time for quiet reflection and stillness.

This morning, my journal entry started with an item of gratitude and grew unintentionally into a prayer:

“Today I’m grateful for this bright, sunny ,and cheerful sun-room here in our house.  God I appreciate this room!  It’s a great place to meet with you, Lord, and to also to interact with Marilyn.  It’s inviting and up-lifting.  It helps me to look on the bright side of life.  Lord, I desire these same qualities be present in my life —  that I would be bright, sunny, cheerful, inviting, and a pleasure to be with.  Thanks for this still moment to reflect on your goodness to me.  Thx! Your son, Don

How living with gratitude helps me thrive

There seems to be something special and therapeutic about having a smile on one’s face and a  spirit of thankfulness in one’s heart.  Dietrick Bonhoeffer says it best: “It is only with gratitude that life becomes rich!”  

With that smile on my face and spirit in my heart, life becomes rich … and I can thrive!

My prayer

Lord, I thank you for all the reasons you give me to have a smile on my face and a grateful spirit in my heart.  Please help me to truly learn to slow down, get quiet, and in the stillness of my heart, reflect on all the blessings you have given me and to be deeply grateful for all of them.   Being a follower of your’s is an awesome opportunity!  Thx!, your son, Don


Comments

  1. Don, So very, very true. Jack

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don,
    I have enjoyed reading your blog posts these past few weeks. They are inspiring and uplifting. However, I must say that this post has been the best so far. The simple concept of being thankful for everyday blessings really impacted me.

    EvAnn and I are enjoying our retirement and move to the Rehoboth Beach DE area. Of course we are blessed and thankful to be close to our grand babies. They are a treat. We love our new home and have met many new neighbors and friends. I am even playing in a small combo and we play for the neighbors occasionally at evening pool parties. A lot of fun.

    After reading this post I realized the GOD is ever present in ALL aspects of our daily lives. Simple things, like having our puppy sleep in this morning to allow me a few extra minutes of sleep. Or seeing two rabbits, three squirrels, and a beautiful blue jay in our backyard (which caused our puppy to go wild!). Or having a delicious breakfast and enjoying watching tennis at Wimbledon.

    I will try to smile more and be thankful everyday for the simple blessings God gives us. Keep up the good work. You are a blessing to so many ( although not a simple one). Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve, you are a big encouragement! I praise God that you are doing so well. You are obviously continuing to follow Jesus. Keep going Brother!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Post #44 -- The Gift of Hope

Post #41 -- When One's Days Are Numbered

Post #42 -- The Gift of Music